Monday, August 24, 2009

Baby Got Back... to basics

I am considering changing the name of this blog to "Running, Weak Ass and All"... It's been a frustrating month, to say the least. I've gotten completely off track with my training as a result of knee pain that flared up after a calf strain initially stopped me in my tracks. My inclination to blog, likewise, has waned. I am NOT a happy camper, and have no interest in bitching and moaning on this site since I feel it is unbecoming. After all, I don't want to be banned from the blogosphere by useless repitition like these hosers. Instead, I've been trying my best to stay positive and to find a way out of this major funk.

So, what have I been up to? Well, I've seen the massage therapist to try and relieve the strain that is affecting my knees. He's loosened up my ITB and quads, and after each session I walk out of there with much less pain. However, I know that these treatments do nothing as far as a long term solution goes, and so I've been back on the hips and ass exercises with a vengeance. I've come to the conclusion that all my lower body pain is the result of a very weak Gluteus Medius muscle. Articles like this one abound, and I am a true convert.

With this in mind, my running has taken a back seat to other forms of activity. Most importantly I've dusted off my roller blades and have been out twice for nice long sessions to try and strengthen the Gluteus Medius and other stabilizing muscles of the ass and hips. Let me tell you, I know this is doing this right thing because within ten minutes I feel the burn in all the right places. It may take some time to get back to real running, but I think that getting this in order first is the right move. Once I am stronger I can get back I can learn how to run properly to engage these important stabilizer and, eventually, to building a proper base for next year's marathon attempt. Perhaps I, too, will eventually be in good enough shape to draw amusing pictures on the urban landscape with my GPS device.

The knees are still aching, but I have faith that once the ass is fixed, the rest will follow. Isn't that how that song goes???

"Free your ass,
and the rest will follow.
"

Hmmmmm....

For what it's worth (and this is only for my reference, I totally understand that) here are the two roller blading sessions that I managed last week: Friday and Sunday. Garmin was along for both and remains a trusted, honest ally, even if it offers no help in the ass-strengthening department.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roolerblading is a great workout! You are staying active which will help once you are able to start running again. Hope the knee pain starts to go away for good.

August 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Sounds like a very reasonable plan. Hope it continues to work for you!

August 25, 2009 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger B.o.B. said...

You can come whine on your blog whenever you like. We welcome whining in the blogosphere. Hope the roller blading works it out for you. Not sure I have heard that song though. ;)

August 26, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home