Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Still Trying

Been off from running since last Friday, partly due to pain in the knee(s) and partly because there simply was no time. Baseball tournaments all weekend meant that I had to skip my planned long run whether I liked it or not. The fact that my knees felt like lead didn't help matters any.

So, long story short, running continues to be a mystery to me. I've been doing all the stretching and strengthening stuff that's supposed to help with the knees, and I've seen the massage therapist a couple of times, but getting to a relatively pain free and happy state continues to be my White Whale.

Tonight I went out for a jog and it wasn't too bad, all things considered. I didn't feel like doing any hills and just meandered through different neighbourhoods, watching people and running past houses where "the other half " (i.e. 2%) live. As far as the run went I will reserve final judgement until tomorrow and my first attempt at walking down the stairs. I managed 10km in 56:56.78 for an average pace of 5:41/km (9:09/mile). I'm bummed about the training plan, which was going so well for the first six or seven weeks, but has completely fallen off the rails in the last four. Other than that, life is good!

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

That pace is not to be sneezed at! I'd love to have an easy jog at that pace.

August 20, 2009 at 4:50 AM  
Blogger Andrew(ajh) said...

We must both be chasing that same elusive white whale. My knee is still problematic too, slowly improving I think, but still bothering me.

August 20, 2009 at 5:08 AM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

Stick with it.. sooner rather than later, you will turn the corner on the pain.
That was a nice pace for your last run.

August 20, 2009 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger Jen Feeny said...

Don't let the run get you down too much, it's better to recover than make it worse! Keep that chin up, you'll be back pounding the pavement before you know it!

August 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

You are still doing it! No matter what it looks like, you're still out there. We all need to join Knee Pain Not-So-Anonymous...

August 20, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home