Thursday, May 3, 2012

Off to a Shaky Start

It's funny. Even though I've now been back on the roads, and some trails, running for a month I still feel like I'm still making my way back to something resembling training. It's been very tentative at best, but I'm thankful for every step at this point. How long will it be before I'm able to go for what I'd call a "real" training run? What I mean by that is a run where I'm not 100% concentrated on the aches and pains in my body, specifically my abdomen and groin, wondering all the while if it's a "good" pain or a "whoa, stop right now or you'll be sidelined again" type of pain.

And then other crap happens to intervene. This week has me suffering from the effects of a cold that I seem to have caught over the weekend. It hit me Monday evening and forced me to abandon any exercise on Tuesday. I did manage a run on Monday night at least, and then I went out again last night for a jog over to the hill up Pottery Road. I ran down and up three times before running home for a total of 30m20s of continuous running.

In my mind thirty minutes is now a bare minimum. If I am to prepare for that trail race, which based on my research of past years' results looks like a 12.2km distance, I have to get myself up to well over an hour of running in short order. It will be a fine balance between "listening to my body" and stretching out the time of my run I suspect. Without a set training plan I don't know how I'll go about it, but I'm afraid to put together a training plan because I know I will hit a day that says I should run X amount and I'll ignore my body, just go do it, and end up hurt. Based on past experience, if it's written down I cannot NOT do it. But if I don't write up some plan will I be ready to go through 12.2km of trails safely?

Stay tuned...

(I've got less than 6 weeks to get ready.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

I hope you are doing well on your return to the roads. Seems like our situations are somewhat similar. I've actually started to finally feel a bit better I think recently, not sure what changed. All I did was loosen the straps on my right ankle brace, I think I may have been wearing it too snug and so it put too much pressure on my leg. Not sure if it is that, but seems like since I started loosening up the ankle brace I've felt better. Hope you are gradually returning too.

May 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Nelly: Thanks! That ankle brace is probably more trouble than it's worth. Use it then lose it! Have you tried a wobble board to help strengthen your ankles and feet? That was the best piece of equipment I ever got when trying to rehab from my torn ligaments in the ankle. All of the stabilizing muscles had atrophied and I went from ankle braces to orthotics before ditching all that, working on strength, and getting my body to the point where it could work as it was meant to rather than relying on support. I hope you get better, and stronger, soon!

May 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home