Friday, April 20, 2012

Green Light (with a caution)

I've been told to try and push things a little bit by my massage therapist. The idea is if stuff starts to break down we'll be better able to pinpoint the problem if I tweak things. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with this turn of events and a little apprehensive about what will happen.

So, my first "test" was on Wednesday when I hit the trails and decided to run longer that I've been able to in almost a year. By longer I mean time wise since I am not ready to chart my progress by mileage just yet. That can only lead to no good.

I jogged for the most part on dirt single-track trails in the Don Valley and went exploring sections that I'd never run on before. As usual, it was a blast! I spiked my heart rate a couple of times on some steep climbs, rested for a minute or two watching skateboarders practicing slalom runs on an isolated road, and then ran back up Pottery Road and most of the way home. I hit stop on my watch at exactly 40 minutes and walked the rest of the way.

40 minutes!

It's nothing, but it's a big step for me. Now, two days later, I am a bit sore in places, but not the places that would have forced me to stop running yet again. Slow and steady is the key and it will be difficult for me to hold back and no overdo it. We'll see...

(I'm even contemplating entering a trail race in June just for fun. There's a 5km and a 12km option. Naturally I'm thinking "get your money's worth" since the cost is the same. Thoughts?)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home