Thursday, March 8, 2012

The iPlod Shuffle

February brought with it almost perfect running weather, though I was not able to take advantage of it. The whole Winter's been perfect for running! We've had almost no snow, very little rain really, and temperatures above freezing more often than not. I picked the wrong time to be out of commission...

February also brought with it a bout of pneumonia that knocked me out for three weeks. It was crazy! If you have a choice I recommend strongly that you avoid whatever it is that causes this ailment, be it bacteria or virus. I was initially diagnosed with a viral throat infection and told to rest for a few days. After trying that the fevers and full on body chills were my reward and so it was back to the doctor again. This time the diagnosis was a bit more precise: a touch of ear infection, with a dash of strep throat, and a crop dusting of pneumonia. Heavy duty anti-biotics were prescribed and I was out of commission for a full week. It's not fun lying around in bed all day while goo keeps coming out of your lungs, let me tell ya...

That brings us to now. After three weeks of weakness, losing about 10lbs, and general malaise, I finally got back to the gym this past Monday. I took things really easy, but boy am I sore! I'm shocked how a bit of down time can leave me feeling like I haven't touched weights in years the day after a workout. Tuesday I managed what I thought was a really light leg workout. Well, my legs feel like they've completely atrophied and I am in so much pain. That being said, this little turn of events has lead to something unexpected...

But first, I will back up to relate that the massage therapist who I've been seeing weekly since last October has given me the green light to test my limits a little bit. I think he meant things like half lunges, exotic foods, and the like, but yours truly took it to mean TRY RUNNING!

What I did today cannot in any way, shape or form be characterized as running. More accurately it can be called "plodding" or "shuffling". I did this little test on a treadmill at the gym (where I went ostensibly to stretch because there was no way I could do any leg weights today). I walked two minutes, shuffled for three, walked for two, shuffled for three, until the clock read 20 minutes. Then I figured I should back off and proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes stretching. It remains to be seen how this foray into plodding will affect my groin injury. But an hour or so after the fact I don't feel anything that would set my alarms ablaze so things are looking promising. It wasn't anything to write home about (so that's why I'm typing it up here), but it was a start.

It's something, no?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Glad you are feeling better and you are able to get out and run (shuffle)....all the best.

March 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home