Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sloppy and Slow 5k

Tonight's run was performed in by far the worst footing of the entire winter. All day it had been either snowing or raining, so by the time I got out at about 8:30pm there was a solid inch of slippery crap on top of everything. Coupled with the steady rain that was falling it made for the slipperiest (is that a word?) conditions of my long, illustrious (ahem, ahem...) running career.

As the title suggests, this was a slow slow run, and I was just glad to get the 5km done without spraining an ankle. I finished it in 31:28 for an average pace of 6:17/km, but that really doesn't matter. The heart rate thing was once again puzzling as my Garmin indicated that my ticker was beating in the 150s at the beginning of the run before finally settling into what I think is the more accurate mid 130s. As per the kind advice of Melanie and Marcy, I will have to check to see if the battery inside the chest strap thingy is corroded and/or call the Garmin folks to get an explanation. It is weird how it seems to eventually settle into what I think is the right reading. Tonight I made sure to get the sensors a bit wet and everything!

And I've crossed the 100km barrier for the year! Small victories, people. Small victories, but victories nonetheless. (I just wanted to put three words together.)

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

congrats on staying upright out there today. i opted for the treadmill as I've already lost my voice, and didn't think cold wet feet would be a wise choice... Garmin support is great... hope you get it figured out!

February 18, 2009 at 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on crossing the 100km barrier!

February 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Dang hope you get that HR in working order.

8:30pm?! Dang you were out there late!

February 19, 2009 at 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job getting out there and running. You guys have had a tough winter. Way to stay motivated.

February 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home