Saturday, February 14, 2009

X-Country With Just One

This morning my alarm went off at 6:30am and I must admit that the motivation to go cross country skiing was lacking. However, I didn't feel right just letting Owen's last lesson go without a try so I woke the little guy up and without too much struggle the two of us were on our way, minus M&M since the other little one was still much too sick to go.

The weather was just perfect for skiing - sunny, -6C, and not windy at all. Once Owen was set up with his gear and off with his class I hit the trails, this time choosing the 15km "Lillehammer" option. My wax was working OK on the sunny spots, but was almost useless in the shade - I guess the temperature difference was enough to affect my skis that way. I still had fun, though one of my poles kind of broke about a quarter of the way into the run up by the handle and I had to jimmy rig a knot to keep the strap on the pole the rest of the way.

I managed the 15km in a relatively decent (all things considered) 1:42:18 and my average heart rate was 135bpm, qualifying the whole thing as a good cross training workout. The last 4 or 5 kilometres were super hilly and made for a good workout, though I thought I'd be late to pick Owen up from his lesson and got a little frustrated for a bit given the whole wax and pole situation. In the end I made it back at a minute past noon and crisis was averted.

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

Tomorrow I have a 14km run on tap, which will be the longest ever for me. If things work out according to plan I should be setting a new record every Sunday until the end of March as I prepare for the Around the Bay 30k. Also, last week was my highest mileage week ever as well at a measly 27km, but I figure we all have to start somewhere. That too should be improved upon every week for the next little while.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never bee skiing before. After trying ice skates a few times, I came to the conclusion that any attempt at friction-free sports end badly for me. :-)

February 14, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home