Wednesday, February 11, 2009

7K Between Sick Kids

The last couple of days have been a little rough on the young'uns in our household as both boys got hit with respiratory nastiness. On Monday Owen got a fever and a major cough that had him down in the dumps, and home in bed, all of Tuesday. Today he was still nowhere near better, and the fever hit Malcolm overnight. Mon and I traded off the parental duties (after she bore the brunt of the lack of sleep during the night) and I stayed with the kids in the morning while she went to work. At lunch she came home soaking wet from biking in the rain (we had record temperatures and are currently under a massive rainfall warning) and I headed off to work.

An hour or so after arriving at work Mon called to say that Malcolm was having trouble breathing and that she was taking him to the pediatrician, so stand by for more news. I continued to work and then a couple of hours later another call, this time it was Owen on the cell telling me that they were heading to Sick Kids Hospital emergency on the orders of the pediatrician and could I meet them there. Of course I could, and it is lucky that I work just down the street from the Hospital.

Malcolm was seen by a very nice nurse and doctor and he was administered some medication. We were told to go out for a walk and dinner and to come back in an hour and half or so. Well, we decided to take Owen home since he didn't need to suffer through hours of waiting in emergency, and since I had planned on running home from work I hit the streets while Monica drove the boys.

With all of that it would have been easy to be down, but the run was absolutely great! The city was blanketed in a thick fog and it wasn't actually raining while I ran. I didn't have my backpack either as I had shoved it in the trunk of the car so I was traveling light. Needless to say I went a little faster than I'd anticipated. My legs still felt a little tight from upping the mileage a bit over the weekend, but they loosened up pretty quick and the run felt really easy overall.

I managed the 7km in 36:54 for a speedy (for me at least) average pace of 5:16/km, which translates to a little under 8:30/mile. My last two kilometres were the fastest of the lot, 4:58 and 4:57 respectively, which in per mile terms hovers somewhere near or just under the 8:00 mark.

Well, when I got home I jumped in the shower, scarfed down an omelet that Monica kindly whipped up, and then Malcolm and I headed back to the Hospital. In the end the poor little guy was diagnosed with a bad case of the croup, had a mist mask thingy put on to breathe in for a while, and eventually discharged with careful instructions for us as far as symptons and such. As I listen to him sleeping and having trouble breathing I can tell you that I am still one worried Dad, but I hope that we don't have to make a return trip to the emergency department tomorrow.

And now I must get some sleep myself.

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

hope the little man feels better soon, it's so hard when they're sick :(

February 11, 2009 at 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the kids. I've got young 'uns (yes, I'm a southerner...). Hard to watch them when they're down.

There's nothing quite as peaceful as running in fog or (light) snow. Makes me feel as if I'm the only person in the world...

February 12, 2009 at 6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the boys feel better soon. It is no fun when the kids are sick. Hope it doesn't float over to you guys.

February 12, 2009 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Awwhhh man sorry about the kiddos. It's like everyother blog I read, peeps (who are parents) have sick kids. Totally stinky.

February 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Aron said...

poor kids :( i hope they feel better soon!!!

awesome job on the SPEEDY 7k!!!

February 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

I feel your pain. Hope they get better soon.

February 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home