Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Warm Day of Sluggish Skiing

Cross country skiing is a wonderful cross training exercise, though it's been a few weeks since I really pushed myself when doing this activity. Today we headed up for some skiing and I was able to once again hit the trails with my wife while my Mom took Malcolm for his lesson. The weather was just a bit above freezing, which felt balmy in comparison to the other Saturdays when we've been faced with temperatures in the negative teens. As a result the snow was super slick and our attempts at finding the right wax were not exactly successful. Even a fellow skier's offer of the use of his wax in the middle of our run did not produce the desired result. I think the spirint of Saint Slippy, the patron saint of crappy grip, was with us the entire time. So, I didn't exactly push myself or anything.

The lack of grip didn't get us down or anything, but it did make for slow going (except on the downhills, where we felt out of control on more than one occasion). In the end I only managed 10km in a sluggish, but fun, 1 hour 14 minutes.

I had the option of going out again in the afternoon, but decided against it since I didn't want to over stress the knee, which has been feeling better and better despite the two runs I had this week. I will do some more stretching, icing, and hip flexor strenthening stuff tonight since I think those are really helping me. In fact, I think I will try and run from my house to my Dad's tomorrow for dinner, which I think is about 12k though I have to verify that with Google Pedometer.

But now, it's time to make dinner for the little guy (the other little guy is enjoying winter camp away from home with his Mom), do the whole bathtime and bedtime routine, and (of course) play with him a bit!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I think I'm going to have to try skiing again!

February 8, 2009 at 1:06 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

Way to go, cross country skiing is great cross training, but I must admit I'm wary since Marlene had her tumble!

February 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home