Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Registering and Planning

I've decided to change my original plan and register for the 5k during the Ottawa Marathon Weekend races in May instead of the 10k. I figure that variety is a good thing, and my time from this race will also allow me to better use the FIRST Run Less Run Faster program to train for the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in September since all of their training paces are based on your best 5k result (I find this a little puzzling because throughout the book they keep repeating that the 5k is the worst predictor for marathon finishing times, for obvious reasons). I also think that running a 5k will be a blast - just giv'r and it's over so quick!

Also, I reworked my training plan based on a Monday-Sunday week. I've always thought of weeks as starting on a Sunday and ending on a Saturday, but apparently running plans do not view calendars the same way I do. Now I have a training plan that is taking shape for the entire calendar year based on this more acceptable convention. If all goes well I will run over 1600km this year, which translates to just over 1000 miles. That will be a good milestone for sure on top of any racing achievements.

And lastly, I am rethinking my original goal for this year (that being to run a sub 45 minute 10k). Now that I am trying to (slowly and carefully) increase my mileage I can't concentrate on both distance and speed all that much as that would likely lead to more injury. If I happen to run that fast in one of the two 10k races I've signed up for, great! If not, I won't worry about it since it is more important for me to run healthy and long this year. I'll think about my goals a bit more, but it's looking more and more like my main goal will be to finish a marathon and not to run fast(ish) in a 10k.

Oh yeah, my wife has registered for the 10k in Ottawa, and I've also registered Owen in the Kids Marathon (which traces the last 1.2k of the marathon route and lets the kids finish in the same spot as the main event, making for some exciting times to be sure). This should be a fun weekend for all of us, though it is still a bit of a ways off.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Aron said...

sounds like you have a great plan for the year! cant wait to follow along to marathon #1 :)

February 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

5ks are fun ... after the fact. They are all I've run. I wanted to run a half this spring, but then my knee reminded me it was 48 years old - by acting like it was 98.

Thanks, knee.

But I'm hoping to run a 5k in April now that i seem to be recovering, so a 10k or a half by Fall? Might not be totally out of the question.

Best of luck with your plans, brother.

February 17, 2009 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

It IS a bad predictor but it gives you an idea of your potential if all things are in place :-) Have fun with the FIRST plan. HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA I laugh because I use it all the time and hate it (but like it because it's doable for my lifestyle) :P

February 17, 2009 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

Sounds like some fun runs ahead for you!
Enjoy them. There is a similar kid's marathon here, and I think my oldest wants to be a part of it.

February 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done the half marathon. More power to you. It hurt. :-)

I far and away enjoy the 5-10K distance more. Good luck with the revised plan.

February 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger Ax said...

Looks like you have some good plans here. I love getting the kids involved in my races. It gets them really excited. Good luck with the training. I like the FIRST plan because I love to run fast. And they really have you movin' on some of those runs.

February 18, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home