Monday, February 16, 2009

Recovery Run on Family Day

Today is Family Day in Ontario, a new holiday that started last year. It's a bit of a weird one since some people, like my wife, do not get a day off, but I still took advantage of it and ran a quick and easy 3km to recover from yesterday's long run. My legs feel better after the 14k than they did after last week's 12k, but I wanted to do this short recovery run anyway since I think it helps to work the stiffness out better than sitting around doing nothing. It was -7C and sunny, and I ran pretty slow, which was the point. It took me 18:52 to do the 3km, for an average pace of 6:17/km. The heart rate is not worth talking about since the Garmin was not behaving properly - it was telling me that my heart rate was in the 150s as soon as I started the run! Come to think of it, the same thing happened yesterday when I reached my max of 185bpm at the very beginning of the run. I wonder if the battery in the chest strap is dying or something? Does your Garmin do this to you, and what is the solution?

Garmin don't lie.


View Larger Map

And lastly, here are the boys on the boardwalk at the Beaches yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful day and, as I said before, I will include this venue in my running in the future:

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

i replaced the battery about 2 months ago when i wasn't getting a HR reading at all. I replaced it, worked fine, but after about a week, showing a reading of 255bpm, obviously wrong since i'm still alive and typing. I opened the compartment door, and it was corroded so badly. maybe try replacing the battery and see if it's any better, but make sure it's closed tightly to avoid corrosion.

February 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

Melanie: Cool! Thanks for the tip.

February 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Hmmmm I don't know what to tell you on the HR strap since I don't have a HR monitor. I hear that Garmin as great customer service though. Maybe try them?

February 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Happy Family Day, sorry I am no help with HR monitors.

February 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Nice run V. Enjoy your Family Day!

February 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

I never use my heartrate monitor, I feel it is not best to know when I'm going to stroke out!

February 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home