Saturday, February 21, 2009

Almost 15km on Skis

Today was the last day of the Jackrabbits program for the boys at Hardwood Hills and even though it was a bit chaotic and somewhat disorganized the boys had fun:



Each got a few little prizes, and Owen even won a water bottle belt thingy that his Dad is sure to borrow for tomorrow's 16km run! SCORE!!!

After a morning where I watched the boys and pretty much followed them around while they had fun I got to hit the trails in the afternoon on my own. Since my poles started disintegrating last weekend I was forced to use my wife's today. They were a bit short, but at least the massive amount of wax I caked onto the bottom of my skis made for some awesome grip! The downhills were not very fast, but I was flying uphill for a change. I ended up doing 14.8km (hiergo the almost 15km in the title) in 1:30:54 for an average pace of 6:07/km. This is a pretty good clip for me when on skis, and I must admit that I was pretty happy with my cardio improvement since the last time I went about this fast when cross country skiing my heart rate was a lot higher than the 145bpm average that I managed today. As the season for skiing comes to a close (and I hope we can get out a couple more times, but our weekends are quickly filling up with other activities) I look back on some great fun with a fantastic cross training bonus from all the skiing we were able to do.

Garmin don't lie.

We got out of there a bit late as well and got stuck in the snow storm that was predicted for the city. The trip took us an extra hour and a half, and now we're all beat. It will be interesting to run that 16k tomorrow through all the white stuff!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Score one for dad!

February 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pics! Nothing quite like kids enjoying the outdoors.

February 22, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home