Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sun"Day" Off

Last night I was feeling pretty good from my 7k run, but I was super tight in the muscle(s) on the right/front side of my right leg. I think it's the one that pulls the foot up into dorsiflexion and also acts to absorb shock when you land. I've never experienced shin splints so I don't really know what they feel like, but I must admit that I was somewhat worried that this may be what I was experiencing. I massaged it, I stretched every muscle I could from the hips down, and even got creative with trying to get that particular area to feel a good stretch. I then popped a couple of ibuprofen before bed and hoped for the best in the morning. Luckily today the muscle feels almost back to normal, so maybe I dodged a bullet. The body adapts to everything without me noticing it and I think that's cool, but I sure wish it would just hurry up and adapt to letting me run pain free for a while!

Also yesterday I found my chin up bar that's been packed up in the garage since our move back in May and installed it. I also blew up our yoga ball and am starting to get prepared for home workouts when my gym membership expires in January and I no longer have access to weights in the same way. The gym that I go to is called Frog's Gym, and it totally sucks. The people running it don't care about it at all, the place is always dirty, running out of paper towels and spray for cleaning off machines, and the treadmills are always breaking down and not getting fixed. Last year my wife and I prepaid one year's worth as a way of making a commitment to exercise, but I think the running has us inspired enough to continue without the gym in the picture. In short, they haven't earned my repeat business. I figure that between push ups, sit ups, chin ups, lunges and stuff I will have enough resistance exercises to keep me fit in the upper body and support my running.

Tomorrow calls for another easy 5k, and I am considering getting it done in the morning before work. We'll see if I can drag my ass out of bed in time!

Oh I forgot! I picked up the Tom Jordan book Pre on Friday and finished it that night. Over the weekend I read it again, and it's obvious that I enjoyed it. Although I still can't put my finger on just why Prefontaine continues to garner attention, and he certainly has mine, but I think at least a little of the fascination is a result of his dying at such a young age. No doubt he was a terrific athlete, and his approach to racing, charismatic personality, and dogged fight against the corrupt AAU are part of the complete picture as well. The biggest impression I was left with after reading the book is that Pre was such an energetic person, always doing multiple things as fast as possible, trying somehow to fit more into the day than anyone else - it's almost as if he subconsiously knew that his time on the planet was limited and he had to get as much done as possible before it was too late. Anyway, if you haven't read the book check it out. Though it is mostly an account of his races from high school until his death, included are numerous personal accounts by people who came into contact with Pre that help to paint a picture of the person and not only the runner.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

that sucks about the gym.. i wouldn't go back either. If you need ideas for working out at home, you may want to check out this site. http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/

It's got a bunch of circuit type workouts, you can search by the equipment that you have (ie. the ball, etc) and create yourselves a decent workout. They are well-layed out routines!

November 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Frayed Laces said...

Eww dirty gyms are a big no in my book. I'm all about doing stuff at home

November 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dirty gyms gross me out. I wouldn't be able to go. Hope you continue to heal.

November 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

About the possible shin splints -- whenever I feel something like that coming on, I do an exercise that really helps. Standing up, I lift my right foot as far off the ground as I can, without lifting my heel. Hold it. Then do the other foot. It helps me!

November 17, 2008 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Good luck with the leg/foot. I am in agreement with the rest of the group... ewwwww. Ditch the gym and stick with the home-cooked workout instead.

November 17, 2008 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have that book on my self to read soon.

Glad to hear the leg is doing well. Just build mileage gradually and limit hard efforts and you body will adapt and be ready for more.

November 17, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home