Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Well, Here We Go Again...

I ran six times last week. Rudimentary math says that means I didn't run just one day. Call me crazy, but when one attempts a return to running from a year-plus of injury "time out" shouldn't one follow a less aggressive strategy?

F that, I say! Same thing I'm saying to the pain in my abdomen that has returned after doing a few sprints with my older son last week. It's just scar tissue from an appendectomy I had as a wee lad (those Austrian doctors left some scars, damn it!, and after a year of tests and therapy that's the best explanation that anyone's come up with). So, my strategy is the same as the one I employed when my ankle was the main source of pain and the inspiration to the title of this blog (sounds more appealing than "Waddling, Shitty Crotch and All", no?). Run, run, run, and it will either give out completely (thereby making diagnosis easier and treatment more focused) or it will magically repair itself. So far, no ankle surgery. Why fix it if it ain't broke?! (The strategy, that is, not the ankle. That shit's messed up!)

Anyway, perhaps it's just the frustration borne of more than a year missed that has me trying this one on for size. Perhaps it's the bourbon. Whatever the case, it's going to be interesting!

Last night, sandwiched nicely into the middle of the three runs I've already completed this week (20 mins, 25 mins, 20 mins) I even dusted off the old Garmin and took it for a spin. Stats aren't pretty (managed just 4.44km in those 25 minutes), but it was fun. And isn't that the point? I'm looking forward to running tomorrow so something must be working, but I know it's early days...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

Glad that you are back to running some!

I've been running more over the past 3-4 months, though my runners knee on my left knee has come back some, I need to keep doing strength and rehab exercises I think to keep it away.

October 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Indeed! Check that glute med. I'm conviced that's the issue with runner's knee. And tight hamstrings (related to the glute thing)... I'll catch up on your exploits. Glad to hear you're running!

October 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Nice to see you back running!

October 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

Thanks Robin! It's good to be running again.

October 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home