Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Run One Down, First Screw Ups

So, marathon training Week 1 is off and "running", pun intended. Monday was a cross-training day and I went to the gym to do some basic leg weights. It was good and I fully intend to keep up the weight training routine throughout the next 18 weeks. I think that gives me the best chance to stay injury free.

This morning was the first actual run of the training plan and the idea was to run for a total of thirteen kilometres at a General Aerobic pace (4:57-5:24/km, 7:58-8:41/mile average) with 10x100m Strides thrown in for good measure.

I think I screwed it up on three fronts.

One, I ran too far as I misjudged my distance down to the Beaches and back up to the track and ended up running a total of 14km. Not a big deal and I can always drop one kilometre from an upcoming recovery run to stay on track mileage wise.

Two, I had no idea how much Strides can take out of you! By the time I got to the sixth repetition, and this with taking nice long walk breaks to get back to the start of the straightaway at the track, my left quad was starting to hurt! Not only that, but I am now feeling things in other parts of my body as well that don't bode well for the future. I think I ran these 100m repetitions too hard. I'll have to watch that. And...

Three, my average pace for the run was too fast! It ended up being 4:48/km with the Strides, but before I even started in on those reps I noticed that the Garmin showed my average pace for the first 11km was 4:53/km (7:43/mile). And that's with some hills coming back up from Queen Street in the Beaches!

Time to check the ego at the door and slow the Hell down or I'll never make it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home