Sunday, May 29, 2011

Very Impressive

This morning my youngest son surprised the heck out of me! He'd been asking to go for a run with me the last couple of days and this morning I was able to oblige. We drove Owen across town to his baseball practice and then were going to drop Malks off at my Dad's while I was supposed to run home. Instead, I couldn't say no when Malks asked if we could run together to his Grandfather's house. I figured he'd give up after a few hundred metres, maybe a kilometre at most. But he ran the entire way and completed 4km at a good steady pace! Amazing stuff. He was very proud of himself, but not as proud as his parents were of him.

I then ran a bit of a roundabout route on the was home for an additional 13.4km to complete 17.4km on the day. Although I ran a lot faster on my portion (4:59/km average pace, 8:01/mile) I did not have nearly as much fun as I did when running with Malcolm. What a terrific training partner!

I think he had fun also. And in the end that's the most important part.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

That is so awesome. Someone must have a good role model to look up to!

May 29, 2011 at 11:35 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Well, I AM 6'4" tall...

But in all seriousness, I absolutely love that it was his initiative and that both my boys view running as a positive activity and a privilege, not as a form of punishment, which is the way I looked at such exercise when I was growing up.

May 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

there are some great moments as a parent, and that was clearly one of them

May 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home