Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Short Turnaround

Why is it that in the lead up to a race, and in particular one that you'd really like to perform well, all sort of creaks and aches and pains come out of the woodwork and then, shortly after the deed is done, disappear? I've never had so many little nagging issues all at once as I prepare for my Half Marathon this coming Sunday!

My right heel is hurting!
My left hamstring is tight and sore!
My left shoulder throbs!
And my left collar bone snap, crackles, and pops every time I move and, yes, it too hurts!

Anyway, I can't explain it, but am trying my best to not let it bother me.

That being said, I did not have any particularly inspiring runs to help ease the mental unease either yesterday or today. Both mornings I ran the same route for 8.5km each. On Tuesday I felt tired, sore, and that's when my heel issue popped up. I still ran at a decent pace, but it was not exactly "good", just maybe tolerable.

Then this morning the same run felt much much worse! I ran slow, my heel and hamstring issues continued unabated, and I had real trouble coming up with a good reason for why I was doing this training run in the first place.

Maybe the lack of sleep in the last little bit is the culprit. Case in point, Owen's first official baseball game of the season was last night and took place way on the other side of town. The team played great while the spectators froze in the chilly wind, winning 6-2 largely due to some stellar base running. But it didn't finish until 9pm, which meant we weren't home until almost 10pm. By the time I was in bed it was coming up on midnight and my five hours of sleep were definitely inadequate. I had intended to go for a 12-15km run, but dragging my ass out of bed took so long that I only had time for the aforementioned 8.5.

In other news, and the reason behind my title for this post, this Sunday will prove to be rather crammed and busy. After completing the Half Marathon (assuming I complete it fast enough for all this to work out) I will have just enough time to go home, shower, change, and then head to the airport where my wife and I will be boarding a plane for Aruba to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary! Tight legs will only get tighter while I sit my 6'4" frame in ecomony class for 5 solid hours, but to Hell with it!

It will be a welcome break and I am very much looking forward to it. I may even stop running for the whole week while I eat, drink, sleep, swim, drink, kayak, drink, eat, sleep, and so on and so forth...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

Good luck in the half marathon! Maybe the heel pain is the result of being too fatigued when running? The hamstring issue I would just try to stretch it a lot.

Have a good time in Aruba, make sure to stretch a lot before you get on the plane, and if possible while you are on the plane! Do you have compression socks? You might want to wear them on the plane, they sometimes aid healing.

May 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Good tips all around, especially about the compression socks. Maybe I'll try to pick up a pair at the Expo. And all these issues I suspect will mean nothing on race day. I'm looking forward to running well, even though the weather forecast looks a bit off.

May 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home