Thursday, June 16, 2011

Number Two, Success Through Pain

I can't believe how sore my legs are after my first run of this marathon training cycle! It's a bit worrisome actually. But at least it served to keep me honest on my second training run...

The plan called for a General Aerobic run of 14km and that's exactly what I did. Lest we forget, and I do this only to hammer home the idea that these General Aerobic runs should NOT be hard, the pace range was supposed to be 4:57-5:24/km.

How did I come up with this you ask? Well, Pfitzinger says these runs should be done at 10-20% slower pace than planned marathon pace. I'm still going under the assumption that I am training for a 3h10m marathon (BQ for those not in the know) until my running dictates otherwise and that puts my marathon pace at 4:30/km. 10% slower is 4:57/km. 20% slower is 5:24/km. And I'm sure that the universal Bob is also your Uncle...

Anyway, the run was good all things considered, but my quads hurt from those silly Strides. The pace for this run ended up being 5:07/km, right in the middle of where I wanted to be. I did not go down to the Beaches and run hills, for obvious reasons, but I did have to climb out of the Don Valley up Beechwood Drive so there was one challenging climb in the run. The elevation profile looked like this:


Now I have a day off tomorrow, a short recovery run on Saturday, and then my first Medium Long run on Sunday which will be more than manageable at 19km. I'm still debating on whether or not I will manage leg weights tomorrow, though I'd really like to keep doing two sessions per week as much as possible. Today it's more upper body stuff, that's for sure.

And lastly, what happened in Vancouver last night is horribly embarrassing to the 99.9% of the populations who are not complete idiots. What a bunch of assholes. And for all of you dumb people who posed in front of burning cars and destroyed shop fronts I hope you are waking up today suitably ashamed. What the Hell were you so proud of? The fact that you can say "I was there"? I'm happy to say that I wasn't.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bert said...

Good luck with your training. We're in almost the same boat, I'm in week 2 of 18 weeks for the Oct 9 Mohawk Hudson. Following Hal Higdon Intermediate. Have previously tried one of Pfitzinger's plans but got sidetracked by injury. I like his book though and agree 100% with his training philosophy. It all comes down to staying healthy!!

June 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

Bert: Amen, brother! Staying injury free is THE primary goal of the weekend warrior marathon runner. In the end, if you can't manage your health what's the point of running?

June 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Nelly said...

Good luck with the marathon training! I like that you are following the Pfitzinger plan, I think you will get great results from it!

And crazy about the Vancouver riots, the riots were massive it seems like. Weird that some of them took place during broad daylight, that would be really bizarre to see. Where were the police during all of this? Seems like they were slow to respond. I think the riots surpassed or were just as big as some of the major US sports riots that have happened in the past.

June 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home