Friday, December 24, 2010

Steady State

It's all quiet on my front. Most Christmas Eve's in my past have been rather stressful and chaotic, but today (in big part due to my lovely wife) things are almost normal. The kids came by the office to meet Santa in the morning. One of them thought it was cool, the other (strangely enough the younger one) exclaimed "That Santa's a fake!" as soon as he laid eyes on him. I'm proud, yes. Just wish he hadn't done it in amongst a bunch of other kids who are still gripped by the magic of the Season!

Anyway, it is what it is...

This day also brought me two running gifts. The first in the form of another unspectacular 5km jaunt before breakfast. The second upon the treadmill in the form of a "steady state" run wherein I pushed myself a bit and survived to tell (type) the tale (in html table format, of course):

DurationSpeedPace (miles)Pace (km)
5:006.7mph8:57/mile5:34/km
30:008.3mph7:15/mile4:30/km
5:006.2mph9:39/mile6:00/km
40:007.9mph7:46/mile4:45/km

The total worked out to 8.4km on account of me deciding that I should take a full five minutes of cool down. Normally I'd stop at 5 miles, but I figured I'd keep jogging along as my heart rate diminished. I did take note that I made it through that distance in 37:49, which was neat to see (4:42/km, 7:34/mile). More importantly I ran for a full half-hour at faster than planned marathon pace based on the whole BQ standard for my age group! It wasn't easy, but I can't say it was the toughest workout ever either. I think as long as I do it in small increments I'll be able to stretch this pace up to over an hour's worth of running sometime near the end of Winter. I will admit that tempo runs are the toughest mentally to get up for and to complete. I suspect it's because they have a special combination of physical exertion and mental boredom that one has to overcome all at once.

Much like a race really, only without the satisfaction and landfill goodies at the end...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home