Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An Exhausted 5K

Tonight I attended my first coaches meeting for my older son's softball team, and have spent the better part of the last hour crafting an email to all the parents on things like games schedule, proposed practices, etc. I am totally exhausted!

Before I did that, however, I did manage to go for a quick run in the dark. I have had a sore throat for the past few days and today it sort of became a low grade cold. I hope a night of sleep will make it go away, but how likely is that, really?

Anyway, I did do the 5km in 28:56 for an average pace of 5:47/km. It was like moving through a cloud of yogurt, and I feel like I've regressed a great deal in terms of my pace over the past month. It wasn't that long ago when I was running long training runs in the 5:20/km range, and now I am dying just to stay under 6:00/km. At least my heart rate was still on the aerobic side, averaging 139bpm. I picked it up a bit on the last kilometre, which I completed in 5:25, and at an average heart rate of 145bpm, but let me tell ya it was tougher than it should have been.

On account of the email and softball thing I didn't get to do any foot strengthening stuff, which is a drag, but now I just want to sleep. G'night!

Garmin don't lie.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Greg at Live Fit said...

I've coached some of my kids activities. Very rewarding to interact with the kids. Just hard dealing with parents who are trying to live out their dreams through their children. Best of luck!

April 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Running through yogurt?!?!

I'm sure you'll be back as soon as you shake the sore throat/cold.

April 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Your speed will come back in time. At least you're running!

April 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cloud of yogurt, what does that feel like???

April 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

What flavour yoghurt?

April 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's difficult to maintain a fast running pace on short runs when you have been training and racing longer distances. You are probably still recovering from the 30k, too. Keep up the training and I think you will start to see your speed come back.

Have a great Easter!

April 10, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home