Sunday, April 5, 2009

12K on a Sunny Sunday

This weekend went by wayyyyyy too fast, but this morning was a glorious time to go for a run. The thermometer read 5.5C in the shade at 11am when Monica and I headed out together for our first run together in quite some time. In the sun it felt more like a balmy teens kind of day.

Running with Monica is always fun and comes with the added benefit that I don't speed up too much since we tend to chat a bit throughout the entire run. We headed off towards Stan Wadlow Park and our entrance into Taylor Creek Park, which meant this would also be my first run on the trail system since last Fall. Everything was going nice and easy and there were a tonne of people out enjoying the beautiful weather. The path was washed out in quite a few places on account of the record rainfall we received on Friday (one of our skylights sprung a leak, so the saying "when it rains it pours" is very apt though a pain in the ass right now), but we were able to navigate around the wet parts pretty well. We even ran off the paved portion for a bit of trail running!

By the eighth kilometre my hip started to hurt in the same spot and although I had planned on running somewhere in the 15k range I decided that cutting it short was the smart move. And since Monica wanted to run 12k I thought I'd stop there myself.

We managed the 12k in 1:17:01 for an average pace of 6:25/km. My heart rate pretty much stayed in the 130s except at the very end of the run when we were climbing out of the valley up Pottery Road. The average was 134bpm.

That's all I have energy for as far as bloggage goes, and I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend of running and such. I might have to contemplate a slower return to running since I am still working out the kinks from the Around the Bay 30k, but we'll see how it goes.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Sounds like a great run. Good call on cutting it short I reckon!

April 6, 2009 at 2:26 AM  
Anonymous Greg at Live Fit said...

Sounds like fun! Always important to listen to your body when recovering from a long run, too.

April 6, 2009 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Must have been nice to have the company. Great job on the 12K! Take care of that hip.

April 6, 2009 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

It's always smart to cut it short if you are feeling pain. I hope the hip is OK!

April 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like an enjoyable run. Take care of that hip.

April 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

p.b.t.n.

April 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home