Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Hope It's Not A Mirage

This morning, after an evening spent either with a hot water bottle strapped to my calf, sitting in the tub, or rubbing Arnika Cream onto/into the affected area, I woke up with a hint less of pain than the previous morning. Could this be, or is this just a cruel mirage come to taunt me? I decided to let it slide and not think about it. After all, my physio appointment is tomorrow and I don't want to show up with nothing hurting for her to ponder and prod.

After another application of Arnika Cream and a morning of rushing the boys out the door on time to catch Owen's schoolbus, I biked down to work. When I got off the bike the calf continued to feel less tight than I expected. Again, I warned myself that wishful thinking will get you nowhere and tried to ignore the lower extremity. Perhaps this was one of those things that, if ignored, would simply begin to act properly in hopes of winning back my approval? Hmmmmm. Maybe.

At lunch I once more got on the bike and headed off to the UofT pool for a short and easy swim. I decided to just be satisfied with 1000m (it took about 15 minutes) and then use the rest of the time I had to stand in as hot a shower as I could handle while stretching a bit. This was a good thing and my legs felt a bit better afterwards. I massaged in more Arnika Cream and headed back to work. On the way I had the strangest feeling of warmth in my quads and inner thighs. I didn't put anything there and if anything I would have expected some sensation in the calves, but the whole quads thing was pretty weird. It was as if I was absorbing the rays of the Sun in this area only, like a cat taking a nap on a windowsill where the sun is only hitting one spot of fur. I wonder what the hell all that was about? Can a 34 year-ol guy get hot flashes in the thighs for some hormonal reason?

The afternoon at the office was spent working (duh!) and sitting at a desk (double duh!), which resulted in my calves tightening up again. I should have practiced some more office stretching, but alas my hindsight is myopic and I forgot my rear view glasses.

On a side not I'd like to thank NWGDC for leaving a comment on my last post re: Chi Running. It seems that absorbing the spirit of this technique, if not the letter of the law, has helped him to run injury free for the past year and a bit. This testament makes for a great boost as far as my running goes and perhaps there is hope that I too can learn how to run more efficiently, minimize injury to the point that will allow me to train for long stretches of time, make all my planned races, and have fun in the process.

In the evening I did another strength routine, this time upping the sit ups to 40 reps and the push ups to 35, all with the yoga ball. I'm still doing reps of 8 on the chin ups, but they are starting to get easier and easier.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If you are feeling improvement, just keep doing what you are doing. Don't question why it works if it works. Just be happy it does.

March 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home