Friday, March 13, 2009

New Bike! - and a run home

Yesterday was a big day (in a small way)! I finally bit the bullet and got a new bike. All winter I've missed riding to work since my once trusty steed of the past 10+ years has disintegrated before my eyes and became less reliable than public transit. (Ouch, sorry old buddy, but the truth hurts!)

After some deliberation, and spurred on by the coming of warmer weather, I went to perhaps the best bike store in the city and had a bike built. It's a touring frame built up as a single-speed with a flip-flop hub. I've never tried cycling on a fixed gear, but look forward to trying. The fixed gear option will also mean that no matter how cold it gets I will not have the same freezing issues to contend with that my old bike and it's freewheel was susceptible to. Here's a glamour shot:



I also got some strength routine stuff done in the evening, but that is much too dull to go into...

Today I ran home from work. It was a good easy run and I was quite pleased with how my foot felt. I think that the massage has already paid off a little and I look forward to more torture on Monday afternoon when I go back for a second helping.

I ran 7km in 37:26 at an average pace of 5:20/km (8:36/mile). My average heart rate was 147bpm, but the second half of the run was a bit harder since I chose a route that took me straight up Broadview Avenue, a bit of a long if not terribly steep hill. All in all I am quite pleased with this run as I prepare for the longest training run ever (for me) on Sunday: 24km! The plans are not concrete, but I may be joined by a friend if he feels up to it. He's been a bit sick lately, but still wants to run the Around the Bay race and this would be a good test (or so he says). I told him to take it easy, but if he does want to run with me it will at least slow me down, which is a good thing. On a good day he can kick my ass, but in this case I might be in a position of hurting him via a faster than acceptable pace.

Oh yeah, I've also crossed the 200k mark for the year!

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bert said...

The bike looks very cool and very functional; no frills, no (potential) problems. Not many hills where you live, so one gear ok I guess? Congrats on the 200k mark.

March 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the bike. Congrats on the purchase. The fixed gear will certainly be easier to care for.

March 14, 2009 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Bert: Thanks for stopping by! And Toronto really isn't that hilly. My other bike I modified into one gear as well, but I had to use a chain tensioner to make it all work. This one doesn't need that. The ratio is 46-16 so I won't be breaking any landspeed records, but it will be a great commuter for sure.

March 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

YAY for new bikes :-) Wait . . .you used to ride your bike to work in the winter?!?

March 15, 2009 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

enjoy the bike! hope the 24 went well for you today!

March 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home