Friday, March 27, 2009

5km Test Run

Let me start by saying that this was perhaps the strangest run I've ever had. Since my calf cramp issue of almost two weeks ago, and my aborted run home last Friday, I've been off the road and not running. So when I headed out today for a little test in preparation for the race this weekend I was more than a little apprehensive about how my body would respond. Remember that last week I made it all of 1.6km before the calf stopped me in my tracks.

On the positive side the calf was not a problem at all tonight! I think it has healed and I have certainly learned my lesson on hydration and proper nutrition prior to a long run. (On that note I ate a really big pasta meal tonight that was awesome!)

On a slightly worrisome note my left quad/ITB was really tight tonight, in a painful kind of way. I don't know why this is so, but I certainly was way overthinking my form while running and I (here I go overthinking again) think that has something to do with it. I stretched, then iced, then applied heat, and took a couple ibuprofen. I hope that this is just a false alarm and a result of all the ass strengthening exercises and wobble board balancing that I've been doing over the past couple of days.

But enough about that - I'm heading to Hamilton tomorrow to pick up my race packet (my Bib# is 3671, and it's kind of cool to know that in advance) and to check out my first ever race expo. If everything goes as planned, and my body cooperates, I will make it to the starting line on Sunday morning. Whether I finish or not remains to be seen, but at the very least I have this riding in my favour: the only goal I have for this race is to finish happy and healthy, no matter how long it takes. I am also prepared to stop should my various bits become too painful to ignore.
Tonight's run was really easy and slow otherwise. I managed the 7km in 29:45 for an average pace of 5:57/km. My fastest split was 5:53 and the slowest was 6:05, so I guess I kept a pretty even pace. The heart rate was definitely on the low side and I barely broke a sweat - 134bpm average. Other than the ITB/quad thing this was a nice easy test run.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Vava take care! Have fun, stay safe...blah, blah, blah, you know what I'm saying!

HAVE A BLAST!!!

March 28, 2009 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have fun at your race and good luck!

March 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM  
Blogger Bert said...

Good luck with the race!

March 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I hope the race goes well!

March 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Hope the race went well!

March 29, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home