Sunday, April 19, 2009

15k LSD, then the Jays TCOB

It's been a fun weekend, full of great weather and lots of activities. Yesterday I repaired our BBQ, and then Mon went off on a 2.5 hour search for propane. Since last year, when a big propane facility exploded, a lot of the places that used to refill tanks have been closed down as the City does it's safety thing. Many of the other places that do tank exchanges were totally sold out, so I guess we weren't the only ones taking advantage of the summer like conditions to have our first BBQ of the year. In the end, we managed and everything worked out.

Today was back to business as far as running goes and I headed out early in the morning (well, early for me), hitting the road at about 7:30am. I planned on running pretty easy given the fact that my two previous runs were pretty intense and my quads were tighter than they have been in weeks. The weather could have been a little warmer, but it was sunny and clear, not very windy, so I wasn't about to complain. I ran a figure eight that allowed me to run a good portion in the Don Valley and Taylor Creek Park trail system, which was very nice. No cars or traffic lights to worry about.

I managed the 15km in 1:25:59 for an average pace of 5:43/km, or 9:13/mile. My heart rate averaged out to 149bpm, and it only spiked on a couple of uphills. I also walked the long stairs leading me out of the valley and so my 13th split was quite a bit slower than all the rest at 6:47 (10:56/mile pace). It was a pretty good run, though as I mentioned the quads were super tight. Also, my right foot was quite fatigued by the end of it. I'm not running again until Wednesday and I hope the two full days of rest will be good for recovery on all fronts.

Garmin don't lie.



After the run we headed off to see the Jays play the A's in the rubber match of their three game series. The Jays have been surprising a lot of the so called experts, who predicted a last place finish in the AL East for the team. Coming into this game they were 9-4 and boasted one of the best offenses in the Major Leagues. Today's game was not a hit fest, however. Instead we were treated to a pitching duel. The Jays prevailed 1-0 and have now won all four of their mini series to start the season. Their pitching is mostly young and unproven, but so far so good. They will likely cool off a bit in their hitting, but they showed me something today in winning a close game with a rookie on the mound. The boys had a great time as well, and since we got group discount tickets from Scouts Canada we sat pretty close to the field up the first base line. Here are some pictures from our great day:

The boys before the start of the game:



Malcolm likes popcorn A LOT!:



BJ Ryan (aka. "Cardiac Arrest") delivering a pitch in his save attempt:



After the game Owen bought a new ball with his allowance money, and Malcolm angled for a new hat:



Malcolm's game face, with the new hat (scary, huh?):

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

7:30 eh! Good to see some folks can sleep in. ;)

I don't see much baseball around here. My first thoughts were look at that young jedi!

April 20, 2009 at 4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boys look like they had a blast at the game.

I am sure the 2 days rest will help your body feel better.

April 20, 2009 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That does sound like a fun weekend. Nice job with the run.

April 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

It seems like you are recovering nicely.
You little guys are so cute, love going to the Jays game.

April 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Nice job on the 15K! Sounds like a fun family weekend, too.

April 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Bert said...

Cute kids and good on you to introduce them to baseball at a young age. Together with cricket it is the greatest!

April 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home