Sunday, April 12, 2009

12km Run in Ottawa

First, Happy Easter to all!

I finally found myself on the other side of that nasty cold that really hit me hard on Wednesday evening and was up for a run along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. Since we had ready and willing baby sitters in the form of grandparents of the boys, Monica and I were able to head out together for the second weekend in a row. My initial plan was to go 15k, but like last Sunday I ended up cutting it short on account of the hip. The good news is that my hip was nowhere near as much of an issue this time around. Last weekend it started to really hurt at the 8k mark, but this week the pain was much less intrusive and I was able to run nice and easy, all the while managing to keep it under control.

The weather was cold and windy though. We ran a bit of an out and back tracing the route of the 10k that Monica will run at the end of May. On the way out we ran directly into the wind, which made the -2C feel more like -8C. I really wished I'd had a pair of gloves with me on the first half of the run. The way back was so much warmer, that's for sure.

We managed 12km in 1:18:37, which translated to a comfortable pace of 6:33/km. Again, all this slow running is getting to me, but at least I'm out there so I have to count my blessings. I guess working out all the kinks from the Around the Bay is taking longer than I'd hoped. My heart rate, according to Garmin, was all over the place, but for the first half of the run it remained in the 120-125bpm range, and for the second half it was steady around 135bpm. Overall the average was 137bpm, but I don't trust that reading since the Garmin was very erratic for the first few kilometres and said I started out in the 160s with a max of 188bpm for the first split. I must not have moistened the chest strap enough or something.

It was a good run in the end, even though neither of us really had much energy. Most of the time it felt very sluggish. That cold really took a lot out of me.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Damn colds! I feel your pain, brother!

April 13, 2009 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Gotta love runnin wit' teh wifey!

April 13, 2009 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

At least you were able to get out there! Nice run.

April 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

I know what you mean about colds, I am still getting over mine, but good job getting out there and running.

April 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Sucks to have a cold!

Great running with the wife though!

April 14, 2009 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Gawd, it was cold here on the weekend and you were out running WITH a cold..YIKES.

It takes awhile to recover from a 30K, let yourself relax and enjoy and nice run with Mrs. Vava!

April 14, 2009 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

Yes, slow is better than nothing! It is very frustrating though...

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home