Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Newbie To Hydration, Oldie to Swimming

Not much to report today really, just a “business as usual” kind of day. I swam at lunch for a total of 1500m in my usual time of 22:30, and it was fine. My left shoulder hurt a bit from the allergy shot I got just before going swimming, but nothing to worry about. I would have probably swam another 500m, but I had to get back to work and didn’t have time.

Speaking of not having time, today just didn’t work out to go headphone shopping. I also have to buy some Gatorade powder or some such thing for my long runs now that they are well over an hour in duration. This is uncharted territory for me and I know absolutely nothing about powders, gels, beans, gu, bars, or any other such thing designed to keep you going long and strong. I guess this will be a trial and error type of thing until I come up with something that works for me, but I must admit that I do not look forward to the process in the least. Therefore, my plan is to start by mixing a pretty dilute Gatorade and water solution since I find Gatorade on its own way too sweet. Is there something other than Gatorade powder, or a specific type of Gatorade powder, that is recommended? I’m shamelessly looking for advice on this since, as explained, I KNOW NOTHING!

This evening I also did a bit of a routine of strength training (or a fair representation thereof) using a yoga ball and some exercises that I took from the RunnersWorld website. It was ok (situps, pushups, squats, and chinups), but I lacked energy. I'll try to do something strength related twice a week as that part has been suffering lately in favour or running.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm no help with what to drink. I stick with water on all my long runs and take GU and Hammer gels with. I have the best luck with them.

February 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger Ax said...

I always use the gatorade powder. I don't really have a favorite flavor. I don't think it's recommended to dilute the mix too much because it messes with the amount of electrolytes you're taking in. But I agree with you that it is pretty sweet. I rarely use gels or anything else, although it would probably help. I've used honey before. Supposedly that is just as good. I've also brought grapes, raisins, and hard candies. I think it is mostly a matter of preference. Hopefully you'll get some good ideas to try and find something that will work for you. Good luck!

February 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd suggest checking out the Gu gel packs. The texture takes some getting used to, but if you down that with a few ounces of water, it works excellent for keeping you hydrated.

February 25, 2009 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

I'm with Blyfinn. I'm all up in the gels. Man I've tried just about all of them too :P Right now I've got CarbBoom. Works good for me. As long as is has low sugar (poop issues otherwise for me LOL) and tastes good I'm all about it HAHA

February 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

I am all about the diluted Gatorade. I say experiment with the different flavors and types of Gatorade. I find some flavors to be much sweeter than others.

February 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Another for diluted Gatorade, made using the powder. Good luck!

February 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Aron said...

i use my fuel belt with 2 water bottles... one is plain water and the other is 3/4 gatorade, 1/4 water... i cant stomach straight gatorade either. good luck finding what works for you!

March 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home