Thursday, December 11, 2008

Swimming and Dripping

Yes, I've managed to catch another cold (that's the dripping part, BTW). Bummer, but I suppose things could be worse.

That didn't stop me from going swimming at lunch, though I was pretty tired and weak and had difficulty staying motivated to swim the entire planned 2000m. I managed in the end, but had to break up the second 1000m after completing the first 1K straight. I did some "easy on the brain" descending sets with about 20sec rest in between - 400m-300m-200m-100m - and then got out of there...

Tonight I still did some chin ups, once more keeping the exhaustion sets out of the equation since I am feeling run down and weak. The sets went 6-6-5-5-5 pull ups, and then 6-6-5-5-5 chin ups for a total of 54 "ups".

Doing pretty much nothing but push ups, chin ups, and swimming is great and all, but I really can't wait to get back into running, you know!!! All the great race reports I've been reading from the running bloggers have got me really itching to get back out there, but alas I am weak below the ass... The foot better start behaving and get better, though I do think that in the last two days it's been getting slightly, just slightly, almost imperceptibly, agonizingly, annoyingly, infuriatingly, confoundedubadebadibidily better...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Felice Devine said...

Do you do squats? When I was off running because of my ankle, I did a ton of squats, to keep my legs working.

December 11, 2008 at 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are on your way to recovery!! Can you bike at all? That is also a great workout that compliments running.

December 12, 2008 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Vava said...

In response to the above comments:

I haven't been doing squats at all, but really should. I have done the occasional set of lunges, but I find that this hurts the foot a bit and am holding off for now.

As far as biking goes I bike 20km every day, 10 to work and 10 back home. It's not much of a workout, but it does keep the legs somewhat in shape.

Thanks for the kind advice!

December 12, 2008 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As the others have said, anything you can do to get the HR up and legs pumping that doesn't hurt your foot is going to make getting back to running that much easier. So if you can cycle, stairstep, elliptical, etc without pain, go for it.

December 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Dang. Not another one!

December 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home