Friday, December 5, 2008

Morning Plunge

I took off early enough this morning to make it to the pool for another swim, my third of the week! Mon was kind enough to cope with getting the kids to school on her own to allow me to do this, and that is no small task as you can imagine. Anyway, I felt weak and tired this morning, most likely from the chin ups that I did last night. I think a break this weekend will be in order, especially since I have that final paper hanging over my head and due on Tuesday. I am so close to the end of my grad studies, and yet so far given that my paper is NOWHERE near completion, and the insubordinate bastard won't just up and write itself!

The swim was pretty lax and I only managed 1500m, but was happy with that. The lane was pretty crowded, with a few wide-stroking "swimmers", one of which hit me a couple of times as I passed by. Thanks for nothin', stone arms! I swam 300-200-100-200-300-200-100 and then 100 backstroke to finish off the 1500, taking 20-30 second breaks in between.

Tonight was Week 5 Day 3 of the hundred push ups challenge, and it was not easy. The sets went 20-20-24-24-20-20-22 and then the max, where I pushed out a surprising 70! I had to start taking short breathing breaks after about 35, where I "rest" while maintaining the plank position. A few times I had to readjust this a bit by bending up at the waist and moving my hands a little, partly because my shoulders were screaming for relief and partly because my hands started slipping from getting too sweaty on the hardwood floor. Either way, I take it as a good sign that I can make it to 70 any way I can. The total number of push ups was 220! In the span of a little under three weeks I doubled my max from 35 to 70, and my total more than doubled, going from 95 to 220. Now if only this foot would heal so that I could start making strides in my running.

Tomorrow I think I will head off to the library to get this damned paper done. Well, at least the first draft. That way I can take a couple of days to polish it up before submitting it on Tuesday, bringing to an end my academic career.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I can't imagine raising kids, workouts AND going to school. Nice job making it all work.

December 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger N.D. said...

I can't imagine swimming in a lane with other people. Different paces and all, that would make it super hard for me. I should be happy to have a lane to myself everytime I go!

December 6, 2008 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

Good luck with the paper. I'm sure it will feel great to hand it in.

December 6, 2008 at 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so lucky you are one paper away. My thesis has been hanging over my head forever. I just need to recruit a few more parents!

December 6, 2008 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Good luck with that final paper.

December 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger FLYERS26 said...

I can't imagine swimming!
and 100 push ups! I could barely do 25 on Thanksgiving, before our trail run.
Keep up the good work, and congrats on 1 paper to go.

December 6, 2008 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger X-Country2 said...

You're a push-up machine! Good luck with the final paper.

December 6, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home