Monday, November 24, 2008

At the Crossroads

I've come to a point where a decision must be made, and it pains me to no end to have to do this. As much as I would like to run the Boxing Day 10 Miler in Hamilton, I think that training for this race (keeping in mind that I would only run it to complete the distance and not all out) may impair my ability to train properly for the entire year of 2009. This realization comes from the fact that my foot, even though it's been OK to run on, is simply not improving.

Now, I could run through this pain, and have done so for over a month now (with that two week break after my race), but I think that a 10 miler has the potential to put me out of commission for a long time if I am not careful. My tolerance for pain is pretty good, but this works against me. Also, the guilt I feel at not training has the effect of forcing me to push through, all the while believing that things are bound to improve.

Well, they haven't. So my options, as I see them, are thus: stop running right now until I am totally healed, even if it means taking the rest of 2008 off (and here's hoping that's ALL I'd have to do!), or train until Boxing Day, run the ten miler, and then take all of January off.

I am leaning towards option #1 because:

a. I am hurting now.
b. I have to finish my Masters Degree in the next two weeks, and have to focus on my last paper. c. I have access to the gym for the rest of the year and can at least do some cardio on the stationary bikes or something.
d. I will need as much injury free time as possible to prepare for the Around the Bay 30k at the end of March.

Anyway, this is more difficult for me than I thought it would be, and I must admit that I am totally bummed out right now. Even though the weather's been totally crappy today I was still planning on a 5K this evening while biking home from work. It was then that I really started to think about the potential consequences should I continue down the path toward the 10 miler and beyond, and so I did not go running this evening. In the end the desire to be pain free, after almost two months of suffering from this plantar fasciitis, won out.

But hey, at least I can do push ups and chin ups! Tonight I managed 21-25-21-21 and then maxed out at 45 for a total of 133. I am a bit surprised that my max was lower than what I managed on Friday of last week (46) given that I had the weekend off from push ups.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

never had PF, but trying to run through what my doc and I thought were only shin splints resulted in an air cast with stress fractures for more than 6 weeks. I had to sell 2 race bibs and watch from the sidelines as friends ran races that I should have been doing, but running without injury being your ultimate goal, my 2 cents would be for option 1. I know it sucks, but the potential of it getting worse increase as you continue to run on it. best of luck... i know it's a hard decision

November 24, 2008 at 9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing the right thing. You need to heel so things don't get worse. Hang in there, there is plenty to do.

November 25, 2008 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

It's a no-brainer. Get yourself healthy so that you are running strong in 2009 and beyond. It must be tough but hang in there. You are doing the right thing.

November 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

Many, many, many races on the calendar all year long. I never worry about missing a planned/hoped for race. There's always another coming up. Skip it. Target another one. Enjoy 2009.

November 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with everyone else. Get yourself fixed up first. If you try to run through it, the injury will have a cascade-effect and you are likely to create even worse injuries from your body trying to compensate.

November 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Take the time to heal and rest up and I'm not trying to dampen your spirits any further, but, I would totally wait to see how you are doing before you sign up for the 30K Around the Bay. It is not an easy race and you certainly have to train for it in some very harsh conditions.

Think long term, not just for right now....

November 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Felice Devine said...

I'll echo the group -- bag the 10 miler and give your foot a chance to heal for real. You're in this for the long term.

November 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Progman2000 said...

Injuries suck - I totally hear you, and have battled the same things you are fighting. Smart to crosstrain and let yourself heal.

November 26, 2008 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger N.D. said...

I think bagging the 10 is a good idea too! Finish up your work, get your foot back in order and prepare for a wicked spring!

November 27, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home