Thursday, May 30, 2013

Analysis Paralysis

It's been a rather meek return to running for me this year, I recognize this and am not deluded into thinking that I am actually "in shape", whatever that means. I noticed that my mileage for last week (a mediocre, or pathetic depending on your perspective, 34.5km) is the second highest for 2013. Huh? Seriously? No wonder I'm feeling like things are not moving in the desired direction...

That being said, at least I have been running somewhat injury free since the beginning of January, with the only hiccup being the calf tightness post Pittsburgh Half Marathon, and subsequent common cold issues. I took a week and a half off, and things are just now starting to feel like they're getting back to normal.

Problem is, normal feels far from desirable. I want to qualify for Boston. That's not in question. But like any motivated person this goal comes with a necessary dose of impatience. So as I watch my heart rate while I do my tiddly runs I am hoping to see some movement in the right direction with respect to pace. In short, if I'm running at 6:00/km at 140bpm I need to see some movement in the speed metric towards anything resembling "faster" at the same 140bpm. Lately, that has not been happening.

Which brings me to the one and only conclusion that can possibly be made: my mileage is far to low to expect the longed for improvement.

Therefore, I must find a way to increase my mileage while staying injury-free.

This may not have a happy ending, but what's the point of wallowing in mediocrity? (Assuming qualifying for Boston is something better than that...)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home