Monday, May 13, 2013

Bummer

Things don't always go as planned, and I guess that adapting to the ups and downs of life is part of any decent training plan. It pisses me off whenever things get in the way of my schedule, but I have to do my best to let it go and find the bright side of any situation.

Well, here goes...

After the Half Marathon in Pittsburgh my left calf was quite sore as a result of the downhill running and such. I managed a couple of short, very slow runs on the Tuesday and Wednesday after the "race", but then came down with an awful cold on Wednesday evening that really took hold the following day. At first I thought it was just allergies to tree pollen hitting me hard, but when my throat started hurting I knew it was something worse. As such, I have not been able to run since as I've either been tied to my bed (missing work on Friday), or feeling very, very tired and lethargic. The upshot of all that is a few missed runs. That's the down side.

The up side, I suppose, is to take this as a sign that I really could use a break. A few months back, as I was mulling over the Marathon Training plan that I'd hoped to follow, I built in a two week break into one of the incarnations right after the Half in the Steel City. Subsequent plans no longer had that two week break because I am an idiot and can't see the benefit of such a thing when I'm actually feeling healthy, but it seems that my body really could use some time off, no? Therefore, I am trying to be positive about this and not feel like I'm losing fitness while waiting on the sidelines to try and start running again. It will now be a 22 week training plan instead of 24, and I think that's OK. Time to look at the old spreadsheet and re-jig.

The cold is still there and I feel crappy, though at least I'm back at work, and the calf is improving, but there is a hint of stiffness still in there. Also, my left heel feels bruised and it hurts a bit when I first get out of bed, which is the tell tale sign of the dreaded plantar fasciitis that I desperately wish to avoid.

So, marathon training will have to wait until at least next week. I am committing to taking this whole week off EVEN if I miraculously recover and feel 100% in the short term. Think I'll still go to the gym, but mostly to make use of the Sauna. We'll see...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home