Sunday, April 14, 2013

Moving in the Right Direction

Another day, another LSD. Longest one of this beginner Half Marathon training plan, which is also nice. I've been locked in on training based on heart rate to keep me safe and honest. Although this week I added an extra run, a short 6.4km on the treadmill on Friday due to a sore elbow keeping me off the weights for a day, I feel relatively healthy and that's a very good thing. So today I ran my longest LSD at 22.5km, waking up at 5:45am (though I was awake from 4:30am onward for some reason, just not able to sleep) on a Sunday to make sure I was around for Owen's first baseball practice of the season at 9:30am and not be absent for a good chunk of the afternoon.

In short, the heart rate is staying in the right zone and my pace is improving slightly with each long run:


Three more weeks until the Pittsburgh Half!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

really glad that you are back to running well and long again. Hope you have continued success out there.

And I really appreciate the long comment on my knee issues. Yea, I think you are dead on in your assessment that glute and hip strength plays a big role. When I was doing PT in summer of 2011 for my left knee meniscus strain, the exercises seemed to focus mainly on hips and glutes. I probably should have kept doing those exercises, but I think I got somewhat lazy over time.

I wish I could have a standing desk at work, because I think that standing makes your glutes fire, so it would keep them stronger. Maybe I can figure out something so that I can stand more often to stengthen my body.

And you are right about not thinking about running, I may cancel my runners world subscription, and unsubscribe from facebook and emails lists about running for a while just to distance myself a bit. Just hard to hear about something you can't do.

April 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home