Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pics from Around the Bay, and back to running...

The family did not accompany me on my Around the Bay adventure since other commitments, much more important than catching glimpses of me running at LSD pace, kept them close to home. On that account I only have what the professionals are peddling as far as pictures go. Not much to choose from and my money, as is my custom when it comes to race photos, stays in my wallet...

All of these are clearly late in the race as I have shed my gloves. The one thing I neglected to mention in my report was that a very kind soul prevented me from losing one of my gloves. When I first took them off I shoved both in my right pocket, which was now empty of Gu Chomp packages. The pocket, evidently, was not deep enough as not too long afterward a fellow runner came up beside me and asked if I was missing a glove. It was a particularly selfless act, I believe, since he immediately dropped back while I continued to hold pace. This tells me that he not only slowed down, picked up my glove, but then proceeded to speed up to catch up to me! Whoever he was I hope Karma works it's magic in one of his future races in the form of a massive PR or a good Samaritan doing something similar should he lose a piece of gear. I know I will be more conscious of such events and will do my part if/when it happens.

The first shot was taken on what looks like that last big hill at somewhere between 26 and 27km. I think the middle photo was taken shortly after I crested that last big hill as I look a little more than uncomfortable. And of course the last photo is the obligatory Finish complete with Garmin check. Good times...




As far as getting back to running I went out for a tentative job on Tuesday night a bit apprehensive of how my calf would hold up. My quads were definitely sore, but I managed a nice even and slow recovery pace and completed 7.6km.

Last night I once again decided to do a slow run and managed 8km. Happy to report that the calf, although not yet 100%, is good to go for slow running. Speed, or my version of it, will have to wait a while.

I may yet fit another run in this evening so I will hold off on the March totals for now.

And lastly I registered for the Toronto GoodLife Half Marathon today. It is set to go on May 15th! That's the next goal race. Let's hope I'm not sidetracked by something like illness or injury and forced to "train" it rather than race it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

nice pics! Like the Indians hat, baseball season is back today!

March 31, 2011 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Yeah! Just finished listening to the Yankees home opener. They won (unfortunately). Hate the Yankees. But their radio play-by-play guy John Sterling is the best in the business.

March 31, 2011 at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home