Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Curse Upon The Frail Bits

Today I was supposed to get up and run before work.

Didn't happen.

Today I was supposed to hit the treadmill at lunch for some intervals.

Won't happen.

Why?

Because I have become a more mature runner and, as such, must do the most hated "listen to your body" crap or risk a major setback. My left knee is not pain-free or anywhere near that blissful state. Although I'm certain that I could run through this, I do not want to jeopardize my training for the long term just to add mileage to my meagre weekly totals in the short term. The Around the Bay 30k is less than three weeks away, and I do not want to DNS there.

So, it's to the gym I go for nothing but upper body weights. That's what I did yesterday instead of leg weights. That's what I will do today instead of intervals.

And through the magic of self-diagnosis here is what I think is the problem:

1. Tendinitis of the gracilis muscle at the tibial insertion point.

or...

2. Bursitis of the same.

Whatever the case may be, it hurts to run and it hurts to bend my leg. It almost feels like a hyper extension and I think it all stems from my steady state treadmill run last Friday. Just a little too much too fast I guess.

Here's hoping all I need is a couple of days off.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

wow, are you my running twin or something? Because after my time trial ish run of 13.5 miles on Saturday my left knee is feeling a little off too! Today it actually feels better, I just did 4 miles easy at the gym yesterday. I think I'm not going to do any more time trial style long runs, I think that was too much for my body to handle right now. Good luck with yours, I bet after just a couple days off you'll be back to normal. Pop some advil, ice it, and stretch and you'll be golden...

March 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home