Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Plans Up In The Air - Boston Just Got More Elite

Well, if you haven't already heard then allow me to break the news (ha!). The registration procedure has changed for this year and onwards to allow for the fastest qualifiers to get in first, and the qualifying standards for all age categories will speed up by 5:00 starting with the 2013 running of the Boston Marathon. There are other details that you can read here, but suffice it to say I've already updated my Personal Goals on the sidebar to reflect the more difficult standard.

Now the question is do I shift my training to try for the new standard this Fall, or leave things as they are, go for the current standard (still touch and go for yours truly anyway), and then train for the faster standard at a Spring 2012 marathon?

Crap!!!

And what an appropriately momentous piece of news for this, my 500th post on Running, Wonky Ankle and All!

(Ran twice yesterday, 5km in the morning, 10km on the treadmill at lunch, and then again this morning for a tidy 8.5km. No speed work this week after my faster long run. Legs are a bit stiff.)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

haha I saw that too about the Boston qualifying times getting harder - now I have to run a 3:05 marathon, haha After Chicago in October I will have a better idea if that is even remotely possible, since I've only done 1 marathon so far in hilly SF, haha

Seems like we are basically in the same boat!

congrats on the 500th post!

February 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Bert said...

Congrats on 500! Having qualified by 1 second back in 2007, I sympathize with recreational runners who are going to be shut out. Glad to see you adjusted your goals accordingly!

February 17, 2011 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

ASk yourself if the new standard is reasonable for fall. If not, then hold off for spring and be happy with a 'moral victory' at the old time in fall.

February 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Nitmos: I think your advice is the most prudent and I should totally keep training with a 3:15 marathon in mind. Suffice it to say that it would only be my second marathon and I'd have to PR by almost 45 minutes to achieve that!

Of course, I've never been accused of being the most logical and conservative person so who knows. It's hard to NOT try and go for it when the Carrot just got sweeter and the Stick just got bigger.

February 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home