Friday, February 4, 2011

Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

Boy, that hurt. And if I was evaluating myself strictly then I would have to say that on my last run I FAILED. And let it be known that I always evaluate myself strictly.

But let's backtrack a little...

Yesterday was a non-running day and so I hit the gym for my usual Thursday leg weights session. My legs were feeling surprisingly stiff after doing deep squats on Monday (after a break of two full weeks for that exercise due to the cold virus that put me out for several days last week), but I made it through my usual routine with my regular weights and actually felt better after the workout then before.

This morning I got up for a recovery paced 5km around the neighbourhood and it was uneventful, which is a good thing.

Then came my lunch time attempt at a steady state run of 45 minutes on the old treadmill. Let the failure begin. Prose doesn't do it justice. Neither does a crappy HTML table, but I'm lazy, my legs are quickly tightening up like cheap banjo strings, and I remain a big fan of cut'n'paste:

DurationSpeedPace (miles)Pace (km)
5:006.7mph8:57/mile5:34/km
28:008.3mph7:15/mile4:30/km
1:000mphinfinity/mileinfinity/km
4:008.3mph7:15/mile4:30/km
1:000mphinfinity/mileinfinity/km
5:008.3mph7:15/mile4:30/km
1:000mphinfinity/mileinfinity/km
4:008.3mph7:15/mile4:30/km
1:000mphinfinity/mileinfinity/km
4:008.3mph7:15/mile4:30/km
1:000mphinfinity/mileinfinity/km
5:006.2mph9:39/mile6:00/km
55:008.0mph7:29/mile4:39/km

I tried, I really really tried, to not stop, but I was totally overheating and the gunk remnants of cold goo that was stuck at the back of my throat made breathing really difficult, especially when my heart rate went up over 170bpm. Had I been outdoors I'd have let one fly to try and clear my air passage, but being indoors on the treadmill I thought that would just have been too gross and disrespectful to my fellow gym people, sweaty and gross as they are. So I ended having to take not one, but 4 disgusting breaks during my supposed "steady state" run attempt, and another at the end before beginning my cool down.

Had I been successful I would have done my 10k PR pace in a training run! Instead, I cannot call it that. I call it FAILURE.

That being said at least I DID run for a full 45 minutes at the desired pace. Now if I can just do it without stopping...

The total for the run was 11.75km (7.30 miles). And yes, in case you are wondering, I did have the sweet/bitter taste of lactic acid on my tongue after the run. I pushed past lactate threshold and paid the price. Paid the price for trying. The cost, clearly, was FAILURE.

Unfortunately there are no refunds for FAILURE. But there's always another day...

Another day when one can give it another TRY.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nitmos said...

You should highlight the word FAILURE so that your feelings on the day's adventure aren't so ambiguous.

Today's FAILURE is tomorrow's SUCCESS. Hopefully.

February 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Nelly said...

That is too bad about the cold, but it sounds like overall your running is going very well recently, keep it up!

February 7, 2011 at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home