Friday, January 14, 2011

Bummer!

After my calf gave me a scare on Tuesday during my latest set of intervals I've been babying it and things have improved, somewhat, but certainly not enough for me to call it 100%. Therefore, I've made the difficult decision (and am guilt-ridden as a result) to NOT run today.

FAAACK!

That's right, you heard me.

I HATE missing workouts. On Wednesday I missed my usual upper body weight training session because my right shoulder was acting up. It was not so bad mentally to do this because I replaced it with a solid, if not spectacular, 7km run on the treadmill. I kept it really easy and set the machine at 6.7mph, which translates to 5:33/km or 8:59/mile I think. The right calf was fine while running, but I definitely made an effort to not hurt it while running.

That night it tightened up again and I was hoping that a full day off on Thursday, my usual off day, would give it enough time to recover. But as I woke up to head out for my usual easy 5km run this morning I noticed that it was not in shape to run. Sure, I could have run on it and in a past life I would have. The thing probably would have loosened up while I was running and I would probably be buoyed by a false sense of confidence that the injury was nothing more than a mirage, only to find out later that I was still in the desert and that the "water" was in fact nothing but scorching hot sand.

This time, however, I thought about the big picture and the races that I want to complete as well as how my weekly, monthly, and yearly mileage would be affected should my muscle tear and force me to miss significant time.

I still held out hope that I could perhaps run on the treadmill at lunch or at least make up for that missed upper body session from Wednesday. Alas, my older son has came down with the flu while we were preparing to head out to school and work and I am staying home with him making my running/weight training plans impossible.

It's probably not a bad thing to get a full day of rest now and then.

But I don't have to like it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

Better to rest up then to get injured, but I agree - you don't have to like it!

January 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home