Friday, January 21, 2011

The Week(days) That Were

How to summarize the week that's been? I guess one of those day-by-day rundowns is in order given that I haven't been on here since Sunday...

Monday: This was a non-running day, but I hit the gym at lunchtime and did a decent leg weight training session. Things are getting better and better although I still have a loooong way to go in the leg strength department.

Tuesday: I ran an easy 5km in the morning and then hit the treadmill at lunch for another 8km. Normally I would have done some sort of intervals, but given the problems I've had with my right calf I just ran a solid though easy pace. First five minutes at 6.7mph (5:34/km) and the rest at 7.6mph (4:56/km). Good times.

Wednesday: The rain that fell all day on Tuesday froze overnight and I awoke to find that if I was to run before going to work I'd have to do it on a skating rink. Streets were sheer ice. Sidewalks were even worse. I scrambled for a slow 5km and was happy to stay on my feet the entire time. Dodged a bullet there I think... At lunch I had a great upper body weight training session.

Thursday: Another day with no running, but more leg weights. This marked the third time that I did single leg dead lifts and these things rock! So many underused muscles get activated with this exercise and it will surely be a staple of my strength training routine for the foreseeable future.

And that brings us to today...

Friday: After more snow fell overnight I went out for a morning recovery run on top of a couple of centimetres of the white stuff. The ice that resulted from that rain earlier in the week had mostly been dealt with by salt so the footing wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. I ran my usual route for an easy 5km. At lunch it was back to the gym and onto the treadmill for what seems to always be the toughest run of the week for me both mentally and physically. I am trying to stretch my steady state runs out five minutes at a time and a couple of weeks ago I made it up to 35 minutes at the slower end of my steady state range (which is the pace I'd love to be able to run at Around the Bay, in case you haven't been reading along). I had to skip doing a steady state run last week on account of the right calf and was a bit worried about how things would go today as I tried to go even longer. Anyway, it was tough, but it got done:

DurationSpeedPace (miles)Pace (km)
5:006.7mph8:57/mile5:34/km
40:008.3mph7:15/mile4:30/km
5:006.2mph9:39/mile6:00/km
50:007.9mph7:35/mile4:43/km

The total distance for the run was 10.6km, or that's what it works out to when one hits "stop" at 6.60 miles.

And now the weekend awaits with two more runs. A recovery effort on Saturday and a long run on Sunday. I will have to fit those in around Owen's basketball tournament and will likely have to run at odd times because his first game on each day starts pretty early. The tournament is a decent drive from our house as well so it looks like afternoon and/or evening runs will be the result.

Have a good weekend!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nitmos said...

This has been a challlenging week. Running on the veneer of ice is fine unless you haveto slow or turn. In other words, no intersections.

January 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Nelly said...

the run on Wednesday sounded dangerous! Glad you didn't fall! Hopefully you didn't try to make any turns! haha

January 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home