Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Marching Forward

Hahaha. That's one of the worst post titles EVER! I stand by it...

Moving on, this IS the first day of the wonderful month of March wherein Spring is a promise sometimes kept, sometimes less so. The local papers are publishing rubbish to the effect that we will have a colder than normal season for the next three months. Just another reason to ignore the local papers.

This morning was a bit of a quick wake up that had me out of bed almost as fast as if there were a fire alarm going off. Instead, it was just my radio going on full blast that I had left downstairs. Hoping to keep the disruption to a minimum (because I love my family, of course) I bolted down the stairs, risking life and limb, to turn the sucker off.

After that it was the usual routine that had me out the door and running a nice and easy 8.5km recovery jog around what has become a customary route.

At lunch I finally managed to go get my haircut, an exercise that I really do dislike and tend to leave much too late. The intended 6 week between haircuts period this time stretched to over three months and it needed doing.

With the locks chopped I headed to the gym for a treadmill interval session. I wasn't sure if I would do the regular step down ladder thing where each fast and slow portion drops from five minutes down to one minute by a minute each time or if I would try something different. Even as I ran my warm up I was still not settled on the type of workout I'd put myself through.

Ultimately I changed things up a bit and I think it was the right move. Although my recovery pace is probably too fast to really get my heart rate get back to low numbers I think this type of training will benefit me in the long run (no pun intended, unlike the crappy title). Taking out the warm up and cool down the average pace for this run ended up being 4:33.5/km (7:19/mile) which is not too bad.

Here's what went down:

DurationSpeedPace (miles)Pace (km)
5:006.7mph8:57/mile5:34/km
5:007.5mph7:59/mile4:58/km
5:009.0mph6:40/mile4:09/km
5:007.5mph7:59/mile4:58/km
5:009.0mph6:40/mile4:09/km
5:007.5mph7:59/mile4:58/km
5:009.0mph6:40/mile4:09/km
5:206.7mph8:57/mile5:34/km
40:207.9mph7:39/mile4:45/km

Although the third interval in particular was tough I was happy with the way I managed to get through it. I was able to concentrate on maintaining good form and staying as relaxed as possible. Also, even though I slipped on this one a little here and there, it helped to try and keep up a fast cadence. I realize that there is still much work to do in this area despite the fact that I've come a long way since last November when I first began to experiment with picking up my turnover rate.

The total distance for the run was 8.5km, and with the morning run it all adds up to 17km (10.6 miles) for the day. A good way to start the month!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home