Monday, November 8, 2010

Into the Disco Era

Yesterday I finished off my highest mileage week since I ran the marathon back in September with a rather painful 16km jaunt up to Edwards Gardens through the trail system that is found in the many ravines running through the city. It was painful in that my right ankle has been rather wonky lately and I am hoping to just run through it, though I am thinking a bit of a break may be warranted.

My mileage for the week became a decent 46.5km and I am now into the Disco Era for yearly mileage, sitting at 1977.75km. I think that would put me exactly at October 1st, 1977 and got me thinking about what happened on that particular day in history. Hmmm...

Well, apparently Pele played his last professional game of football for the New York Cosmos on that day. The retirement theme is interesting given what happened at the NYC Marathon yesterday with the great Haile Gebrselassie. The end of an era (perhaps). As others have proven, retirements are made to be broken, especially those made in haste while suffering is still fresh on the mind. And sometimes they never seem to take...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

Wow, I didn't know about Gebrselassie retiring, that is too bad. He really is the best distance runner of all time. I was bummed that he didn't do the Beijing marathon in 2008 due to the smog, I really wanted to see him win the gold there.

November 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home