Sunday, November 21, 2010

Getting Old Sucks

The past couple of weeks have been somewhat humbling in the getting old department. First my right shoulder gave out while doing bench presses (and likely caused by throwing a football around with Owen the night before), and now my right leg feels like an old brick that's been sitting out in the desert for too long. In short, it's crumbling...

I've stopped upper body weights for the entire week and have been doing lots of core and leg training, and perhaps that is why I feel this way south of the equator. But it makes it no less frustrating, and no less painful. I was still running fine throughout the week, but this morning's "long" run became a rather pedestrian and wonky 10km effort that is best forgotten (it was supposed to have been a 16km run). In fact I wonder if I should have been running at all. My ankle and Achilles is definitely off, and now to add insult to injury my right knee feels stiff and my right hip is not much better.

I've been pretty bad at stretching in the evenings and absolutely must get back to that routine or things are bound to get worse before they get better. Also, I think a down week is in the offing despite the fact that my weekly mileage cannot be described as anything other than pathetic given that I've only hit 40km twice since the end of September.

I suppose it's still better than not being able to run at all...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

hopefully your body improves, I bet just a little rest will be all that you need. Maybe ease up on the weights and get back to just running for a bit to feel better...

November 22, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home