Friday, August 13, 2010

Dialing it Back

I'm in the middle of what is supposed to be a recovery week, and it is, but realize that perhaps I am not recovering quite as much as I should. My training runs and my weight training has not really changed from the week before (my highest ever) and all I was really accomplishing was a break on the long run mileage.

So this morning, as I started out on my morning fifteen kilometre run, feeling a bit stiff despite taking a day off yesterday from weight training and giving my legs a break for the first time in a long time, I decided to cut my run short. Dial it back, as it were.

Instead of the planned fifteen I ran a decently paced, and by that I mean slow and easy but steady, 12km. It wasn't great, but it was good. Can't complain really. My heels feel a bit stiff, likely from the speed work that I've sprinkled into my workouts as well as the higher mileage than I am used to over the course of the last two weeks. My aim for the rest of this week is to go easy and actually achieve the "recovery" part of recovery week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ace said...

Rest is good. You've earned it.

August 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Scott McMurtrey said...

Smart. Somewhere I just saw a good quote about how hard to push it during any given run during training. It was something like: "Your training schedule gets one vote, and your body gets two votes." In other words, listen to your body over what the training log says you should be doing.

I have to do this often. Just a couple weeks ago I had a 5 mile run trail run planned - I got out of the car, ran about 1/2 mile and my body was screaming "I need rest!", so I turned around and walked back to the car.

August 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home