Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Going with the Flow

This morning I woke up early enough to fit in a nice 10km run at a recovery sort of pace before work. It was another nice weather type morning with no humidity and I am absolutely loving it when I open my front door and am not met with a wall of stickiness. Although I like the heat and enjoy the challenge of running in tough conditions it is a treat to run in near perfect weather because it makes everything seem that much easier.

My legs felt a little stiff after yesterday's leg weights, but that is to be expected. My pace started off really slow and then picked up as the run progressed even though my perceived effort never wavered.

In other news I am shaking things up a little as far as the training plan goes. Given that my ankle felt a bit wonky shortly after I ran my first 30km training run I am now building in recovery weeks right after long runs of this distance. This will allow me to run the number of 30km+ training runs that I want to prior to the marathon and hopefully get me to the starting line healthy and ready to go. It actually works out quite well on the calendar anyway and gives me a proper taper and good rest heading into the race.

Also, I am contemplating something a bit stupid. Given that I had to skip one of my long training runs this month the only way that I will be able to meet my monthly mileage goal for July is to move my long run for this week from Sunday to Saturday (since Sunday is August 1st and annoying as hell). I know that in the grand scheme this doesn't matter, and blah blah blah all that smart listening to your body crap and don't be tied to the stats etc. etc., but to me it is an important metric. Therefore, what I am planning on doing it running on Saturday evening instead and shifting the long run by a matter of hours and now a full day. Of course, this does depend on how I feel on Saturday and I retain the right to pull the chute on this plan at any point.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott McMurtrey said...

I also like the months with 5 weekends -- makes my mileage chart look awesome. I'm all for shifting the long run to fit it in. :)

July 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

I like big numbers. Works for me.

July 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home