Sunday, July 11, 2010

Going Longer Than Ever Before

Well, almost. I did run this far once, but it was really slow, really painful, and included lots of stopping and walking so in my mind I count today's 30km training run as my longest ever.

I headed out at around 8am and planned to meet Monica and the boys at Ontario Place for some water slide fun before heading to my Dad's to watch the World Cup Final. Everything was going great until I hit the Acura Ten Miler race that forced me to change my route a little bit and also to wait at one spot to cross. No big deal. I should have been running this race, as I did last year, but I thought that with Owen's baseball tournament I'd still be out of town.

Anyway, I ran, and ran, and then ran some more. At 15km I had my first ever and only gel, a disgusting vanilla flavour thing that was NOT fun to consume. I hope it helped because I can't say I'm looking forward to ever trying another one.

Things got tough after the 20km mark, and my original plan to run 28km was still on my mind. But as I passed Ontario Place I chose to run an extra kilometre before turning around and so managed the eventual 30km. Nice! This also marks my longest week ever as I completed 72km since last Monday. Last year I could barely walk after running a 12km training run from my house to my Dad's. I am certainly tired and my legs are drained, but I am nowhere near as sore as I was after that other run (which was way back in February, 2009).

After the run I went down the water slides with the boys a little bit, and then headed home to shower and get ready to head out. I'm cheering for the Netherlands, my Dad is for Spain. Should be a fun game!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Bert said...

Good job - you seem to setting a lot of new training milestones. It should start to pay off in races soon enough!

July 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

Awesome run! 30km is a long ways! I was with you on the orange...at least your run went well!

July 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

That's awesome. It's great when a milestone run goes well!

July 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Scott McMurtrey said...

Awesome. :)

July 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home