Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Longer Tuesday Morning

Started off the first full week of August with a longer than usual Tuesday morning run. I decided to run a bit longer today because of logistics in dropping off kids at summer camps combined with spouse going out of town for business mean that Wednesday morning I will be more pressed for time and will have to shorten the run to get back to the house on time.

So I went back to the old tried and true Beaches boardwalk run and completed a decent 15km. It was pretty easy running for the most part, though it got very humid and sticky as I went along and my heart rate went up a bit on the way home as a result of the conditions and the climb up Jones Ave.

Over all I think my running is going very well, and my right knee continues to improve. I haven't said much about it lately because it really doesn't bother me while I'm running anymore, and it's not much of an issue between runs either. As long as I use the foam roller once in a while and make sure to stretch properly every evening the patellar tendinitis is slowly dissipating. Also, my leg strength continues to improve in the gym. Although I am still pathetically weak on squats (and can still bench press more than I can push up with my legs!), I am definitely way better than I was back in January. The exercise that definitely tells me my quads are getting stronger, and in particular the vastus medialis on the right leg, is the leg extension. I continue to slowly up the reps and weight and no longer feel a twinge with the first few reps of every set in the kneecap. Good times!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ace said...

Sounds like you are getting in the work necessary to take care of the knee good on ya for that.

August 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Scott McMurtrey said...

Don't think of it as being pathetically weak on squats, but as being amazingly awesome on the bench!

August 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Vava said...

Scott: I like your point of view, but sadly I am pretty weak on both counts. But hey, lots of room for improvement!

August 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home