Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Recovery During a Run

A day after my 34km run I went to the gym and had a good weight training session for the legs. Sure they were a bit tired, but surprisingly nowhere near as sore as I thought they would be. In the past I would have taken that as a sign to keep running up the mileage again this week, but I am more sober now and not drunk on mileage seeking behaviour.

So, this morning I set out on a short recovery jog and admit that at the beginning I was a bit stiff and sore. Well, perhaps not so much stiff and sore, but really just out of gas. The first kilometre was so slow I was rethinking my distance goal and would have been happy to cut it a bit short given that this is a recovery week. However, as I plodded along my body started to feel better and began to move a bit faster. I wasn't trying any harder, it was just easier to run somehow. The humidity was way up and there was a thick mist hanging over every grassy field that I passed along the way. It certainly would have been very difficult to run fast under the circumstances so I was just happy to jog a big loop around the neighbourhood and back to my house.

In the end I completed a good 8km of recovery paced running and am optimistic that my legs will let me hit the track tomorrow morning for some more cruise intervals.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home