Thursday, May 13, 2010

What's Up With My Legs?

I can't figure out why my legs are not recovering as well as I think they should. I've been consistently  weight training since the middle of January and slowly ramping up my mileage since I've gotten back on the road in the middle of November of last year. Yet this week is not dissimilar to a few others recently.

After Sundays slow nineteen kilometre run I felt a bit stiff on Monday, but nothing unusual. I had a really good, solid leg workout at the gym on Monday and thought that after four months of this stuff my legs would no longer feel stiff the next day. On Tuesday, however, I was stiff as all heck and had a rough time running in the morning, though I pushed through for a decent training run.

Wednesday I ran 5km to work and then 8.25km home afterwards, but both runs started off super slow and sort of painful because my legs felt like I'd just done my first heavy workout after years off! I don't get it. Both runs, BTW, finished off at a decent clip and felt pretty good, but my legs stiffened right up afterwards.

Today is another leg weight workout and I am forced to go light. I'd rather do some real weights, but if I don't hold back my runs for the rest of the week will be jeopardized.

So here are my thoughts on why this may be happening:

1. I am going through my third week in a row of 50+ kilometres when I've only had one such mileage week all of last year and two in my entire life (the second time being in April of this year) prior to this three week section.

2. I am not running with any sort of Gatorade or equivalent on any of my runs, including my long runs, and I ran for a total of 2h16m this past Sunday (well past the point of glycogen depletion I am told, even if it was at a snail's pace).

3. I am just built to be sore and wonky and must learn to live with it and run through it.

If anyone is reading that and has experienced such stiffness with their own legs could you shed some light in the comments on what I might consider doing to help? I am open to trying anything short of cutting off my legs all together.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home