Sunday, May 9, 2010

Running With Friends

First, Happy Mothers Day! Where would we be without mothers? Nowhere, that's where. Thanks Mom!

Today Monica and I were kid free as our boys had a sleepover at my Dad's (arranged by Monica so that we could go out for a nice dinner, which we did at a great little Ethiopian restaurant). So, we decided to run together, though it didn't actually work out that way.

Over the past couple of days, via the magic of Facebook, I'd arranged for a meet up and run with a couple who we'd met years ago while playing Ultimate Frisbee. Our paths crossed now and again over the years as our kids had gone to the same daycare, and we live in the same part of town. Recently I'd learned that they were training for a half-marathon and put the thought of a group run out there. Today it worked out.

We met at Withrow Park and set off on the planned 16km run (for them). I'd already run a couple of kilometres while waiting for everyone to show up and was planning to run 18km.

The group of four quickly separated by gender, for some reason, and Monica went off with K. while D. and I ran behind. Turns out that K. runs faster than D. and they don't actually run together on their training runs as she leaves him behind. Anyway, it was a great time as we chatted the entire way. D. had never run more than 14km and set a personal record with a 17km run while I managed 19km. It was rather slow, partly because D. had a couple of troublesome knees with multiple operations to contend with, but for me it was just what the doctor ordered. Slow and steady, and definitely not boring. It took well over 2 hours to complete, so I was out there longer than on any other training run this year. I also completed the second longest mileage week ever for me at 55km. Sweet! Hope we can hook up again for another group run sometime soon.

After the run Monica and I stopped off at Timmy's for coffee and bagels. Much needed since I was starving. All in all it was a great way to spend a rather chilly and windy Sunday morning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home