Friday, May 7, 2010

More Foot Commuting and a PR for the Better Half

Today I repeated yesterday's routine and ran to and from work. In between I had a decent upper body weight workout. I must admit that it feels really good to be able to commute on foot. Maybe someday I'll be able to do it five days per week? Hmmm. I should just be satisfied with once or twice and use my bike the rest of the time...

Anyway, after walking a couple of kilometres to warm up and chatting with Monica while she biked beside me I started up into a nice slow trot and completed 5km on the way to work. Speaking of Mon, she had a great run yesterday that I neglected to record in the annals of this blog thingy. She ran a 10k training run in 57:15! Her official PR is 59:26, so this definitely counts, though perhaps unofficially so, but I figure her Garmin can't be that far off. I can't wait to see what she can do at the end of the month when she runs her 10k in Ottawa. Should be a blast!

In the afternoon I set out for my run home in what is best described as uncertain weather. Owen's baseball game, which was supposed to have started at 6:30pm, was canceled due to rain by four in the afternoon, and when I stepped outside I was greeted with windy and wet conditions. It wasn't actually raining at least, but I did not particularly enjoy standing out there waiting for my Garmin to lock onto satellites.

Once the watch acquired a signal I set off and had a great run. It felt pretty easy, the rain held off, I started to overheat a bit in the second half, but in the end managed a relatively speedy (for me) 7.25km. The average pace ended up at 5:15/km and heart rate was 141bpm. Not bad for me! I'd probably avoid the route I took though since I was caught in the human mass that is Chinatown East at one point and was forced to bounce on and off the sidewalk, and in and out of traffic. Luckily I was quite gassy and ended up farting all over the passersby. Ha!


Looking forward to my weekend long run, which may even be with Monica because I've caught onto a rumour that the boys might be off to a sleepover at my Dad's (a Birthday treat for me set up by my wife so that we can go out on Saturday night). Sweet!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home